Have you noticed the hot weather?
With the weather warming we have seen an increase in overheated animals.
Signs of heat exhaustion
- excessive panting
- struggling to breathe
- injected gums
- hindlimb weakness
- rectal bleeding
Tips to help your pet through the hot weather
- Always ensure they have clean fresh, shaded water available.
- Provide a shaded place to escape.
- Ensure circulation is available (especially inside eg. fan).
- NEVER exercise dogs in the middle of the day, this includes walks.
- Provide a shell pool (only under supervision).
- Provide cool mats, wet towels and/or icy treats.
- Ensure animals are groomed accordinally (shave belly on thick coated animals, ensure not mats, brush out undercoat).
If your animal does suffer from heat exhaustion, please contact us immediately on 3200 6045 or the Animal Emergency Service on 3423 1888.